Pure joy.
Laughing until your belly aches. Laughing until you cry. Laughing so hard you can't control it. Being so happy you forget all else except being with those immediately around you.
Having two small children has meant there have been lots of tears (theirs and mine included) but also lots and lots of laughter and moments of pure joy. I love how the simple things in life can bring such happiness to a small child.
Jumping up and down on the bed.
Letting someone tickle you a little.
Playing chasings and peekaboo.
Dancing and singing to Justine Clarke in your silliest voice.
Blowing and catching bubbles on the front lawn.
Hiding under a blanket with daddy at bedtime so mummy can't find them.
Often I let myself get buried alive by the daily grind of life and the challenges of toddler tantrums and spills and accidents, that I forget to just stop and enjoy those other moments. The special ones. Like when I found Josh brushing his teeth before bed unprompted, and when I find him says "you'll be so proud of me Mummy". And like Zoe running up to her big brother excitedly to give him a kiss before she goes for her afternoon nap and they share a little brother/sister moment together.
'Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of Joy
and just be Joyful.'
{Anonymous}

Oh, I couldn't agree more. You are so right with these words. I too let myself 'get buried alive' with everything that is going on in life. I should stop more often to enjoy and after reading this and getting a little reminder, I will. Have a lovely day!
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely moments to stop and appreciate. I too need to remind myself to take a step away from the busy day to day things and smile at all the happy things Grace brings to our household :)
ReplyDeleteA really lovely post. I was just saying to my partner this morning that having kids is so full of paradoxes - they make you so happy and sad at the same time. Excited and worried about the future. One minute they are making you laugh, the next gnash your teeth in frustration.
ReplyDeleteI love that quote at the end. Time to get of the computer and go play with my two year old and enjoy it for what it is!